- Middle school teacher and columnist
- Pro to the question "Should Teachers Get Tenure?"
“I’m a teacher. I have tenure. This gives me staying power and job security. My job isn’t supposed to be political – it’s supposed to be about teaching student[s]. For that reason, tenure is something I feel that I need in my profession.
Why? As a social studies teacher, I need academic freedom. It’s my job to expose students to a variety of mindsets, viewpoints, and a litany of issues that seem to perturb both the far-left and far-right. I want to open minds, and sometimes I have to fight past closed ones – especially those of parents.”
“Why I Support Teacher Tenure,” theeducatorsroom.com (accessed Dec. 6, 2018)
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Staff writer, Central Penn Parent Magazine, 2017-present
- Columnist, The Educator’s Room, Dec. 2012-present
- 8th Grade Social Studies Teacher, Cumberland Valley School District, 2008-present
- Community Columnist, The Patriot-News, 2008-2012
- Department Chair, Panther Valley School District, 2008
- 9th-12th Grade Social Studies Teacher, Panther Valley School District, 2006-2008
- MEd, Educational Leadership and Administration, Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania, 2009
- BS, Secondary Education, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, 2005
- BA, History, Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania, 2005
- Twitter handle: @MrJakeMiller
- Recipient, National Education Association (NEA) Foundation Teacher of Excellence award, 2017
- Recipient, National History Day Pennsylvania Teacher of the Year award, 2016
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Should Teachers Get Tenure?